I took my braids out! Read about the process

By . - Thursday, March 21, 2013

I decided to remove my braids a few days before the end of the Grow With Me Protective Style Challenge ended. The challenge was for 8 weeks and I decided to end at 7 1/2 weeks. I had a few events to attend and my braids were way too fuzzy!

My braids 4 weeks into the challenge
The Top Bun was my go-to style
I removed my braids very carefully and I made sure I had enough time to do it. This isn't a process that you want to rush through. You can seriously damage your hair if you don't take your time. I de-tangled each section with a wide tooth comb and then with a small tooth comb. Getting the shed hair out is my main focus, otherwise, the hair will matt during the washing process. I pre-pooed with some coconut oil and got ready to wash my scalp.

Right after pre-pooing with coconut oil
Excited about washing this head of hair
I clarified with Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo once. It really gets my scalp clean without making it tight and itchy. Love this stuff! I did a second wash with Mizani True Textures For Natural Curls Cleansing Cream. Stay tuned for this review very soon!


I proceeded to a protein deep condition with Chi Deep Brilliance Silkeratin 17. I love this product and I'll be keeping this in the rotation until I find something better!

I rinsed my protein treatment out after 30 minutes and proceeded with my moisture deep conditioner immediately afterward. I always follow a protein with a moisture to prevent breakage. I used Mizani True Textures Curl Replenish for 30 minutes and rinsed. Read my review of this product very soon on Good Hair Diaries.

I moisturized my hair with Mizani True Textures Moisture Stretch Cream and styled with Mizani True Textures Perfect Curl Defining Cream Gel. Stay tuned for the product review!



I applied both products to my damp hair in sections. I was sure to finger comb the products through my hair carefully allowing the curls to define and clump. I allowed my hair to air dry completely and the results are below.
My curls were well behaved for a night out on the town

This is what my hair looked like hours later

Curls Upclose

Lots of shine and good definition

Attempting to show how thick my hair is. I will reveal what I've been using
So happy to have my curls back after 8 weeks of protective styling


Stay tuned for a length check very soon. I want to see if I've gained any length since my second big chop at the beginning of the year. Straight hair here I come and then I'm back in for another 8-week hair challenge. Let's retain some length ladies!



Have a Good Hair Day and remember to Love Your Hair!!!






Leave a comment!




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. I have to admit I fell off the challenge the last two weeks and I am going to start another challenge in the next week or two. I'll do a length check in another month. My mom is trying to get me to get a wash and set at tje dalon because we'll be attending church this weekend. I know they are going to flat iron and use a blow dryer so I'm going to go with MY arsenal of products inclyding a good heat protectant!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck at the salon, Jennice. Take your products with and don't be afraid to tell them exactly how you want things done. Give your hair a lot of TLC before and after ;)

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I fell off the challenge the last two weeks and I am going to start another challenge in the next week or two. I'll do a length check in another month. My mom is trying to get me to get a wash and set at tje dalon because we'll be attending church this weekend. I know they are going to flat iron and use a blow dryer so I'm going to go with MY arsenal of products inclyding a good heat protectant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the defining hair gel work on 4C hair and will it loo like your hair after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karabo, everyones hair is different. You have to try products to find out if they work. All type 4 hair is not created equally. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Did u do twist outs? The curls are nicely defined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I just applied the products I spoke about in this post in sections to my damp hair. The definition is from the products. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Leave a comment and show some love!